I know many of us have been feeling the little tremors around southern California lately, especially in San Diego. So here are a few things to think about having on the “ready-set-go” in case that little shake becomes a big quake!
The first step in emergency preparedness is to prepare or purchase a reliable emergency kit for you and your family (that includes pets). In the event of a catastrophic disaster, we cannot rely solely on emergency personnel, since they will be unable to assist the many people who will need help. Following a major disaster, stores and financial institutions will be closed, utilities will be shut off and buildings and roads may become too dangerous..
It is crucial to be self-sufficient by storing emergency kits in your home, car, office and/or school, since no one can predict where we will be when a disaster strikes.
- During an earthquake emergency, be aware of where each exit door is located where you live, work and/or go to school
- Make sure your entire family is versed on where to go to be safe during an earthquake
- Keep a regular land line within the home; a cordless won’t work if the power is out.
- Your home is equipped with emergency water, food, shelter and lighting supplies. Keep it separate from everyday food.
- Make sure the vehicle(s) is stocked with emergency water, food, shelter and lighting supplies
- If you park a car in a garage and one outside, keep the outside car fully equipped with safety supplies as well.
- Keep a bag of clothes and shoes by your exit door. You may not be fully clothed when an earthquake hits.
- Locate unsecured materials in your home that may cause injury as flying debris, and better prepare them to be safe
- If a quake strikes at night, be able to navigate your home in the dark safely
- If you have pets, keep extra food and a leash with your safety supplies
- Ask yourself: Do I want to survive an earthquake, and do I have the proper preparedness plan?
- Ask yourself: Do I want peace of mind and safety for me and my family?
- Have you researched the level of danger for your local area by an earthquake?
- Are you aware that an earthquake can strike at anytime, and is not predictable?
- Are you aware that if you prepare yourself for an earthquake your chances of survival are greatly increased?
- There are many types of first aid and survival kits available for purchase online that can help you prepare for an earthquake.
Always be aware and be safe.